National Geographic Kids respects and protects the privacy of our users.
1. Information Collection
2. Parental Consent
3. Use of Personal Information
4. Sharing of Personal Information
5. Information Security
6. Parental Control of Personal Information
7. Your California Privacy Rights
8. Visiting Our Services From Outside The United States
9. Links to Third Party Sites, Services, and Content
The NG Kids Services generally require little or no collection of personal information. From time to time, however, we may request that a child provide an email address in order to participate in particular activities. We also may ask a child to provide a screen name and password or demographic information, such as gender, birthday, and state of residence. If a child signs up for National Geographic Kids My Shot -- a moderated photo sharing community where young photographers can tell stories through pictures and comment on photos submitted by other members -- we also may collect photographs and comments from the child. All comments and photos are monitored by the NG Kids staff, and any personal information is deleted before they are publicly displayed.
Cookies are small text files that are stored on a user's computer. Most web browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is sent. You can choose to remove cookies through your browser options. However, if you do so, some functionality may be limited. If you wish to disable cookies, please refer to your browser’s help section. Web beacons are 1x1 single-pixel graphics that may be embedded in web pages or emails. We use web beacons to collect information about advertising and site traffic statistics. Local Storage Objects (sometimes referred to as “Flash Cookies”) are similar to standard cookies except that they can be larger and are downloaded to a computer or mobile device by the Adobe Flash media player. Please note that you may need to take additional steps beyond changing your browser settings to refuse or disable Local Storage Objects and similar technologies. For example, Local Storage Objects can be controlled through the instructions on Adobe’s Setting Manager page.
National Geographic may use the services of third parties who collect or maintain personal information through the NG Kids Services.
We generally do not collect, use, or disclose personal information from children under the age of 13 without prior parental consent, except in certain limited cases, which may include the following:
We may collect a parent’s email address in order to provide the parent with notice that his or her child signed up for an account with an NG Kids Service that does not otherwise collect, use, or disclose children’s personal information. We generally will not use or disclose the email address that we collect except to send the initial notices and subsequent updates about the child’s participation on NG Kids Services.
- From time to time, we may have special online promotions such as sweepstakes and contests on the NG Kids Services that are open for registration by children under the age of 13. In these situations, we may collect online contact information in order to communicate on a one-time basis with a child to inform him or her that he or she has won the sweepstakes or contest. At that point, we may ask the winning child for the online contact information of a parent or guardian so that we can make arrangements to award the prize. We will delete the child’s online contact information and will not use it to re-contact the child or disclose it. Alternatively, we may ask the child for a parent or guardian’s online contact information so that we can notify the parent or guardian about the child’s participation in a promotion or otherwise seek consent. Any information that is given to us in this circumstance is used only for the purpose of conducting the activity and will be deleted from our system after the promotion has ended or any other legally required period for keeping such information has passed.
- All My Shot comments and photos are monitored by the NG Kids staff before they are publicly displayed. Once uploaded, photos and display names are viewable by visitors to the site and via public search engines. If a child signs up to participate in the My Shot community, we will use the parent’s email address to send emails about the child’s activity on My Shot, including an account activation email and emails when children successfully upload photos or comments or attempt to submit photos or comments that are deemed unacceptable under our guidelines. We require users to choose My Shot usernames and display names that do not include personally identifiable information, such as their real name, phone number, or address. If you have any questions about NG Kids My Shot, please email us at email@example.com.
We may collect a child’s name and contact information to the extent reasonably necessary to protect the security or integrity of the NG Kids Services; to take precautions against liability; to respond to judicial process; or (to the extent permitted by law) to provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation on a matter related to public safety.
Some games on the NG Kids Services may require users to provide information, such as a username and password, in order to generate high score tables.
We may use persistent identifiers, such as IP addresses and cookie IDs, to support the internal operations of the NG Kids Services. We also may allow third parties to collect persistent identifiers to support the internal operations of the NG Kids Services. For example, our third-party service providers may collect persistent identifiers to help us with traffic measurement, research, and analytics.
We may otherwise collect personal information from your child as permitted by law.
Use of Personal Information
In addition to the uses outlined in the Parental Consent section, we may use personal information that we collect through the NG Kids Services for a variety of purposes, including to provide children with the services and information they request; customize and personalize a child’s use of the NG Kids Services; maintain or administer the NG Kids Services or perform business analyses; improve the quality of the NG Kids Services or any related services; and as otherwise described to parents at the point of collection or pursuant to parental consent.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may transfer, disclose, or share personal information we collect through the NG Kids Services with service providers who we engage specifically to administer or perform certain functions on our behalf, such as conducting sweepstakes and contests. These service providers have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use or disclose it for other purposes. We may also disclose personal information to third parties when required by law or pertinent to judicial or government investigations or proceedings, when otherwise necessary to protect the NG Kids Services or the safety of our users or any third party, or with a parent/guardian’s consent. If we sell all or part of our organization, or make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, or in the event of bankruptcy, we may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction. We may permit third parties to collect personal information about a user’s online activities over time and across different websites when he or she uses the NG Kids Services.
The security and confidentiality of your child’s information is extremely important to us, and we take a number of steps to help safeguard any personal information that your child provides to us. However, no method of transmitting or storing electronic data is ever completely secure, and therefore we cannot warrant or guarantee that such information will never be accessed, used or released in a manner that is inconsistent with this policy.
Parental Control of Personal Information
Upon providing proper identification, parents can review, correct, or have deleted their child’s personal information from our database, or refuse further collection or use of personal information from their child by writing to us at:
National Geographic Kids
1145 17th Street
Washington, D.C. 20036-4688.
Your California Privacy Rights
We do not share information that we collect through the NG Kids Services with third parties for the third party’s direct marketing purposes.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
Visiting Our Services From Outside The United States
National Geographic is based in Washington, DC in the United States of America. If you are visiting the NG Kids Services from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States and other countries around the world. The data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Please be assured that we seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using the NG Kids Services or providing us with any information through the NG Kids Services, you consent to the transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States and other countries around the world.
Links to Third Party Sites, Services, and Content
Last Updated: November 25, 2015.