Photograph by Jane Norton/iStockPhoto
We have to disagree with Kermit the Frog when he said, "It's not easy being green." Guess what? It is totally easy (sorry, Kermit!).
Going back to school is an exciting time because everything's new — teachers, fellow students, supplies. However, it's not very green to buy a whole new package of markers when last year's set works just fine. In addition to reusing old supplies, we've got a great list of ways to be as green as can be in the new school year.
- Ride your bike or walk to school.
- Use last year's school supplies.
- Buy a canvas and cardboard binders instead of plastic.
- Buy recycled paper.
- Use reusable water bottles instead of plastic.
- Use a lunch box, not paper bags.
- Donate last year's clothes instead of throwing them away.
- Buy online to avoid driving.
- Buy organic food.
- Turn your computer off when you're not using it.
- Decorate your lunchbox.
- Make your own bookmarks.
- Organize a clothes swap with your friends.
- Carpool to sports.
- Use refillable pens and pencils.
- Reuse your backpack. Decorate it with cool patches.
Text by NG Kids Staff