Treat Your Pet
First make sure your pet isn't allergic to the ingredients, then get permission to use the kitchen, and follow this recipe.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) white flour
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) dry, nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 milliliters) vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) meat-flavored baby food, warmed in the microwave
- 1 egg
- A rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Cookie cutters
1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
2. Add the shortening and mix well with a fork.
3. Mix in the warm baby food and raw egg.
4. Knead the dough with your hands for a few minutes, then use a rolling pin to roll it out on a wax paper-covered surface. If necessary to prevent sticking, sprinkle white flour on hands, rolling pin, and wax paper.
5. Using cookie cutters, cut dough into different shapes and put the pieces on a microwave-safe plate.
6. Microwave on low power for two minutes, rotate the plate, and continue microwaving for another minute or two. Check often.
7. Let the biscuits cool. Give your pet one or two a day as a treat. Dogs eat them whole, but break treats into smaller pieces for cats.
Text by Julie Vosburgh Agnone
Illustration by Lynn Jeffrey