Playful Picnic—Make-Believe BLT
YOU WILL NEED
- Pound cake
- Whipped cream or white frosting
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- Red rolled fruit snack
- Sliced strawberries
- Small bowl
- Ask an adult to cut the pound cake into bread-size slices.
- Spread a thin layer of whipped cream or white frosting ("mayonnaise") on one slice.
- In a small bowl, mix 5 drops of green food coloring with 1/4 cup of shredded coconut. Put the green coconut ("lettuce") on top of the slice of pound cake.
- Unroll a red rolled fruit snack and tear it into bacon-size pieces. Place the "bacon" on top of the "lettuce" and "mayo."
- Top off your sandwich with sliced strawberries for "tomatoes" and add another slice of pound cake. Enjoy!
Text by Carolyn Wixson Haga
Illustrations by Charles Peale