YOU WILL NEED
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) butter
- 10-ounce (284-gram) bag of mini-marshmallows
- 6 cups (90 grams) Rice Krispies (plain or cocoa flavor)
- Waxed paper
- Small gumdrops
- Red licorice
- Wooden skewers (cut in half)
- Chocolate decorating icing
- Candy corn
1. Follow the Rice Krispies Treats recipe on the cereal box.
2. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture onto waxed paper and let them sit until they're cool enough to handle.
3. For each turkey body, create a ball the size of a fist. The heads should be about the size of golf balls. Stick the heads to the bodies. (Coat your hands with butter or cooking spray if the mixture gets too sticky.)
4. To make feathers, thread gumdrops and licorice onto the skewers. Poke about six skewers into the back of each turkey.
5. Use the icing as "glue" to attach the following items: for eyes, use the marshmallows with chocolate icing for pupils; for the beak and feet, use candy corn; for the wattle under the bird's neck, use licorice. Makes about six to eight turkeys.
Text by National Geographic Kids staff
Photograph by Rebecca Hale