Recycled 3-D Valentine Craft
Be sweet to your loved ones and the Earth this Valentine’s Day. Turn everyday items around your house into something heartfelt. Show how much you care about the environment by creating recycled cards for your family and friends.
YOU WILL NEED
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Bowl of water
- Old newspaper or leftover tissue paper
- Glue wash (equal parts glue and water)
- An old greeting card
- A clean plate
1. Tear newspaper or tissue paper into small pieces. Place the cookie cutter on the plate. Making sure each piece overlaps, position a few pieces of the paper inside the cookie cutter to create a thin layer. Dip your fingers into the bowl of water and then press it gently on the paper layer, making the paper damp. Continue layering, dipping, and pressing until the cookie cutter is about half full. Let it dry for at least a day.
2. When the paper mold is completely dry, gently press down on the mold and carefully lift off the cookie cutter. Using a clean paintbrush, apply a light coat of glue wash to the mold. As it dries, move on to step three.
3. Cover an old greeting card with things from around the house, such as construction paper, magazines, newspapers, or doilies. Write a poem or message inside the card and then glue the 3-D heart to the front. Now you’re ready to give this Earth-friendly valentine to someone you love!
Text by Jill Yaworski
Photograph by NGS Staff