The entry period has ended. Judging will begin May 16.
OFFICIAL “2012 NAUTILUS PATCH CONTEST” RULES
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY AND A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
MANY WILL ENTER. FEW WILL WIN.
Sponsor is National Geographic Society, 1145 17th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036-4688 (“Sponsor”).
The 2012 Nautilus Patch Contest begins March 8, 2012 and ends May 7, 2012. Entries must be postmarked by May 7, 2012 and received by May 16, 2012. Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged.
The Contest consists of the phases set forth below, as described fully in these Official Rules.
Submission starts March 8, 2012 and ends May 7, 2012.
Judging starts May 16, 2012 and ends May 30, 2012.
WHO MAY ENTER
Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are six to fourteen (6–14) years of age as of 3/8/2012. Employees of Sponsor and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Entrants must have a parent's or legal guardian's permission to enter. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter, go to http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/contests/nautilus-patch/ to download an entry form. Complete the form with your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and parent’s or legal guardian’s signature. By their signature, parents/legal guardians consent to their child’s participation and agree to these Official Rules. Mail your completed entry form, Nautilus Patch Design, and Essay to: Nautilus Patch Design Contest, National Geographic Digital Media - Kids, M-4430, 1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036. Entry form must be complete for entry to be valid.
- Entry must comply with the following requirements (“Entry Requirements”):
● Create a design for an 8-inch diameter circular patch on plain paper (your “Patch Design”). The Patch Design must include the words “NAUTILUS” and “2012” and represent ocean exploration.
● Write an essay, not exceeding 300 words in length describing where you would want to explore and why (the “Essay”).
● The Patch Design and Essay must each be a single work of original material created by the contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted Patch Design and Essay are original works created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Patch Design or the Essay.
Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party’s pre-existing work does not qualify as entrant’s original creation.
Obscene, provocative, or otherwise objectionable content will not be considered, and such determination is solely at the discretion of Sponsor.
The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below.
Limit one entry per person.
THE POTENTIAL Winner (AND PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN) IS required to EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING: (1) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release; (2) warranty of ownership and License; AND (3) PUBLICITY RELEASE. UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, THE POTENTIAL WINNER MUST SIGN THESE DOCUMENTS no later than 15 days from the date of prize notification IN ORDER FOR SPONSOR TO AWARD THE PRIZE. Noncompliance or return of prize notification as undeliverable MAY result in disqualification and, AT SPONSOR’S DISCRETION, selection of an alternate winner.
One (1) Prize Winner will be selected. The Prize consists of the following: National Geographic will create a patch using the winning Patch Design. Winner will also receive a patch bearing his/her Patch Design, as well as select National Geographic books and DVDs determined at Sponsor’s discretion. Retail value ("ARV") of the Prize is $100. All prize details are at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- No prize transfer, assignment or substitution by Winner permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize, in which case a prize of comparable value, determined in Sponsor’s reasonable discretion, will be awarded.
- Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and the skill of the entrant.
Dr. Robert Ballard, Dr. Katy Croff Bell, and National Geographic Kids and Missions staff (the “Judges”) will evaluate the entries and will select three finalists based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
1) Genuine artistic ability demonstrated in the Patch Design: 30%
2) Extent to which Patch Design and Essay convey the themes of ocean exploration: 30%
3) Genuine creativity demonstrated in Patch Design: 40%
The Judges will select a Winner based on the Judging Criteria. Winner will be notified by mail on or around May 30, 2012 and will be deemed a Winner subject to verification of eligibility and execution of an Affidavit of Eligibility, License and Liability Release.
- Decisions of the Sponsor and Judges are final and binding.
- Sponsor reserves the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Sponsor and Judges in their sole discretion.
The winning entry, and the winner’s name, voice, and likeness may be published by Sponsor, its designees, licensees or affiliates, in one of Sponsor’s magazines and/or books and/or online. By participating, all entrants grant a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to National Geographic Society and its licensees and designees (the “Authorized Parties”), and acknowledge that the Authorized Parties may use the winning Patch Design and Essay, in any media now or hereafter known, without restriction, including commercially using it to fullest extent possible. No Authorized Party will be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants (and their parents or legal guardians) agree to release, discharge and hold harmless National Geographic Society, and its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
This Contest is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. This Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, mutilated, incomplete, illegible, misdirected, or postage-due mail. Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he/she wins that Sponsor may use the winning flag design and winner’s name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another winner.
Winner’s first name and state of residence will be available online at kids.nationalgeographic.com after June 1, 2012 or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Nautilus Patch Design Winner: National Geographic Digital Media - Kids, M-4430, 1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036, (Residents of Vermont need not include postage.)