OFFICIAL “FUNNIEST PET VIDEO CONTEST” RULES 2015
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY AND A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Sponsor is National Geographic Society, 1145 17th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036-4688 (“Sponsor”).
The “FUNNIEST PET VIDEO CONTEST” begins APRIL 10, 2015, and ends JUNE 30, 2015 (the “Entry Period”). Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on JUNE 30, 2015. Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
WHO MAY ENTER
Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are between the ages of 6 and 14 at the time of entry and who have a parent or legal guardian’s permission to enter. Employees of Sponsor, PetSmart, their affiliates and subsidiaries, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. CONTEST IS VOID OUTSIDE THE US AND WHERE PROHIBITED. MANY WILL ENTER; FEW WILL WIN.
HOW TO ENTER
Take a video of your pet for submission in one of the Categories below (the “Video”). The pet featured in the Video must belong to you or your family.
The categories for entries are: 1. DOGS, 2. SCALES, FINS, AND FEATHERS (this includes reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, etc.), 3. CATS, and 4. OTHER FURRY PETS (this includes rodents, rabbits, etc. ) (each a “Category,” and collectively the “Categories”). Each entrant may submit entries in any Category he orshe wishes and may submit entries to different Categories at different times during the Entry Period, but no entrant may submit in total more than one (1) entry per Category. Each entry must comply with the following requirements (“Entry Requirements”):
To submit an entry:
• Get permission from your parent or legal guardian to send us their email address. Then go to natgeo.com/kids/pet-contest and submit your parent or legal guardian’s email address, along with your first name.
• Sponsor will send an email to your parent’s or legal guardian’s email address asking him or her to work with you to enter the Contest through links provided in the email.
Entries may not be uploaded before APRIL 10, 2015.
By responding to Sponsor’s email inviting entry into the Contest, parents or legal guardians agree to be bound by these Official Rules.
The Video must meet the following specifications:
• The Video must be no longer than one minute.
• The Video must be uploaded in horizontal (not vertical) format. So if filming with a phone or iPad, the entrant will need to turn the device sideways. Files must be .MP4/MPEG4 or .MOV. It is recommended that the video is HD 16:9 ratio and 15Mbit/sec.
• The Video must be left in its pure form. No digital effects, colorization or image manipulation are allowed. It is fine to edit the picture to fit into the one minute if required.
• The Video must be taken not more than three (3) years before the date of entry.
• The Video must be an original work created by the Contest entrant as videographer. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted Video is an original work created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Video.
• The Video must not be obscene, provocative, or contain otherwise objectionable content, and such determination is solely at the discretion of Sponsor.
• The Video must not contain faces, names, logos, brands, or music.
The entries in each Category will be judged separately, in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. Limit one entry per person per Category.
The potential winners (and their respective parents or legal guardians) are required to execute the following: (1) an affidavit of eligibility and liability release; (2) a warranty of ownership and license; (3) a publicity release; and (4) any other affidavits, declarations, releases, or additional documents that may be required by any prize suppliers. Unless prohibited by law, the potential winners (and their parent or legal guardian) must sign these documents no later than seven (7) days from the date of receipt of prize notification in order for Sponsor to award the prize. Noncompliance or return of prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s discretion, selection of an alternate winner.
Judging consists of three (3) rounds of evaluation.
• In the first round, on or about July 1, 2015, a panel of National Geographic Kids staff with experience in video and kids' publishing (the “Judges”) will evaluate the entries based on the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
1) Creativity and originality 60%
2) Video skills and quality 40%
The Judges will select up to ten (10) finalists in each Category based on the Judging Criteria.
In the case of a tie, the video with the highest “Creativity and originality” score will be deemed the winner. If a tie still remains, the highest “Video skills and quality” score will be deemed the winner. If a tie remains, the tied entries will be re-judged based on the same criteria outlined above.
• In the second round, on or about July 7, 2015, the Judges will evaluate the finalists and select a First Place winner and a Second Place winner in each Category based on the Judging Criteria.
On or about July 15, 2015, parents or legal guardians of the winners will be notified in writing by email and asked to return, within 7 days, fully executed documentation described above. In the event a winner’s parent or legal guardian fails to deliver the necessary consents within 7 days, the prize will be forfeited and the entrant with the next best score will be contacted.
• In the third round, on or about July 29, 2015, Parry Gripp will select a Grand Prize winner from among the four confirmed First Place winners, based on the Judging Criteria.
Decisions of the Sponsor and Judges are final and binding.
One (1) Grand Prize winner will be chosen from among the four First Place winners. The Grand Prize consists of:
(1) the winning video will turned into a music video by internet star Parry Gripp;
(2) the winning video will be published on the NG Kids website;
(3) any National Geographic aquarium or habitat starter kit from PetSmart;
(4) a National Geographic 15-gallon aquatic tank from PetSmart;
(5) $600 in gift cards from PetSmart;
(6) a Nabi Big Tab by Fuhu;
(7) a Roku Streaming Stick; and
(8) one copy each of the books How to Speak Cat, the National Geographic Kids Almanac 2016, and Weird But True: Ripped from the Headlines 2.
The ARV of the First Place prize is $1250 USD.
-FIRST PLACE PRIZES
Four (4) First Place winners will be selected, one in each Category. The First Place prize consists of:
(1) a National Geographic 15-gallon aquatic tank from PetSmart;
(2) a $100 PetSmart gift card;
(3) a Roku Streaming Stick; and
(4) one copy each of the books How to Speak Cat, the National Geographic Kids Almanac 2016, and Weird But True: Ripped from the Headlines 2.
The ARV of the First Place prize is $305 USD.
-SECOND PLACE PRIZES
Four (4) Second Place winners will be selected, one in each Category. Their winning videos will be published on the NG KIDS website. The Second Place prize consists of:
(1) a National Geographic betta tank from PetSmart; and
(2) one copy each of the books How to Speak Cat, the National Geographic Kids Almanac 2016, and Weird But True: Ripped from the Headlines 2.
The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each Second Place prize is $60 USD.
No prize transfer, assignment or substitution by winners permitted. In the event a prize is unavailable, Sponsor, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value.
Odds of winning in a particular Category will depend on the number of eligible entries received in that Category and the skill of the entrant in satisfying the Judging Criteria.
Should a winner make any false statement(s) in any documents referenced herein, the winner will be required to promptly return to Sponsor his or her prize, or the cash value thereof.
An entrant will not be officially declared a winner until the entrant’s parent or legal guardian has been contacted and has signed all required documentation.
By entering the Contest, all entrants (and their respective parents and legal guardians) grant a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license to Sponsor, Petsmart, and their designees, licensees and affiliates (“Authorized Parties”), to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the Videos (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; publication in National Geographic Kids Magazine and/or online highlighting Contest entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party's website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Entrants (and their respective parents and legal guardians) further hereby waive all moral rights in and to the Videos in favor of the Sponsor. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES
If the Video contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the Video, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the Video in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants (and their parents or legal guardians) agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, PetSmart, Inc. and PetSmart Store Support Group, Inc. (and each of their respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives) (individually and together, “Released Parties”) from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
This Contest is subject to federal, state, provincial, territorial and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are incomplete, inaccessible or blocked, corrupted, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Entrants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he or she wins that Sponsor may use the winning Video and each winner’s name, Video, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another winner.
Winners' names (first and last name, and city of residence) will be available online at natgeo.com/kids/pet-contest after September 1, 2015.
NOTICE TO INDIVIDUALS: REMOVAL FROM MAILING LIST: Any individual (or other duly authorized person) may elect to exclude the name and address of that individual from all lists used by Sponsor to mail skill contests or sweepstakes. To elect to have an individual’s name excluded from all such lists, submit a removal request in writing to: Funniest Pet Video Contest, National Geographic Kids / AS, 1145 17th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036. This notification system may be used to prohibit mailing of all skill contests or sweepstakes by Sponsor to such individual.
This contest is not sponsored or administered by PetSmart, Inc. or PetSmart Store Support Group, Inc. PETSMART is a trademark of PetSmart Store Support Group, Inc.