Facts: Frito Lay
- In 2010, the Frito Lay Factory in Perry, Georgia received a gold certificate from the US Green Building Council for the environmentally friendly nature of its production facilities.
- Less than 1% of the Perry factory’s solid waste goes in landfill sites.
- The Frito Lay Company is the product of two companies that united in 1961: The Frito Company and the H. W. Lay Company.
- The Perry, Georgia factory is one of Frito Lay’s largest production facilities - it spans almost one million square feet.
- Frito Lay exports its products to 79 countries.
- The Perry, Georgia facility is efficient – potatoes arrive at the facility and are bagged as chips within six to eight hours.
- The Perry, Georgia facility cooks around one million pounds of potatoes every day.
- The potatoes used for Frito Lay’s potato chips are harvested from over 80 farms scattered across the USA.
- An average of 175,000 boxes of chips leave the Perry facility every day.
- Frito Lay employs over 48,000 people. Around 1400 of these people work at the Perry, Georgia facility.
- Every year over 300 million metric tons of potatoes are grown in around 150 countries worldwide.
- China is the world’s biggest potato producer, but other leading potato growing nations include Russia, the Ukraine, India and the United States of America.
- During the Irish Potato famine of 1845 and 1849, around one million people died of starvation, typhus and other famine related diseases.
- As well as for potato chips, potatoes are also a staple ingredient in products as diverse as flour and vodka.
- The potato arrived in Europe, from South America, some time between 1565 and 1573.
Our cameras go on a fun and fascinating adventure inside the Lego factory in Billund, Denmark.
Nat Geo TV Blogs
- 5 Body Language Tricks That Give You Power
- 10 Misery-Inducing GIFs from Science of Stupid
- Drugs, Inc. Spurs the Conversation to Address Substance Abuse at Home
- How to Make Ice (That Doesn’t Suck) and Other Mundane Marvels Explored
- 23 Mind-Altering Facts About Your Brain
- 5 Hilarious Fails from Science of Stupid (w/ GIFs!)
- Changing the Way You Think About the Way You Think
- Life Below Zero Challenge #12: Say Hello to Nature
- Africa’s Big Five Safe Haven #WhereInTheWorld REVEALED!
- The Evolution of Pop Punk in the ’90s