Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Whether it's part of your holiday celebration or just part of making the house more festive, this is a time for candles. I love the glow of candles, but burning them inside your home requires staying alert no matter what's going on.
A couple of years ago, we had candles that looked like birch trees that we used at Christmas. A few minutes after lighting them, we smelled something burning. With all the activity going on in the house, we got distracted. The candles were clustered too close together and a smaller candle completely charred the side of one of the taller candles. We felt pretty silly. We also felt fortunate that it didn't start a fire.
According to the National Candle Association, households report fifteen thousand fires each year, mainly because of inattention to basic safety precautions. If there's one thing you should always do when you light candles, make sure you have them in your sight. Keep them in a heat-resistant container on a stable surface where children or pets cannot reach them. Never leave a candle unattended. A bit of extra caution goes a long way toward a safe holiday.