Kellan and I were at a local park today and a little boy playing near us was stung by a bee. Judging from the boy's reaction, it was painful! Other parents were giving the boy's mom advice about what to do - ice seemed to be the favorite remedy - but I've never been stung by a bee so I didn't have a clue. After today's incident though, I realized I needed first aid knowledge.
The most important thing is to remove the stinger right away. I've read that using your nail or a credit card to scrape the stinger off is the best method. Washing the area with soap and water is the next step. Ice can offer pain relief or you can make a paste with baking soda and water to cover the affected area. You can also contact your pediatrician to find out if an over-the-counter antihistamine will work for your child.
If your child has an allergic reaction, like dizziness and trouble breathing, seek medical attention right away. You can read more about bee stings and how to treat them here.