Does it seem like the holidays snuck up on us? It does for me! This year I'm going to give green gifts that are fun and functional. Here are a few of my favorite green gift ideas for the whole family, all under $50.
1. Heirloom seeds - If you know someone with a green thumb, heirloom seeds are great way to introduce something new in the garden. We had dinner at a relative's house this fall and when we admired the flowers on the table, she told us they were from the seeds we gave her last year. That was really cool.
2. Water bottle - Every member of the family should have his or her own water bottle. There are so many great choices out there, from stainless steel ones with straw tops for kids to sleek glass bottles by Takeya. I make sure I always have one with me in the car so I can avoid buying water when I'm on the go.
3. Bento boxes - Why use plastic and paper bags when you can pack the perfect lunch in a reusable bento box? There are cute options for kids and more sophisticated versions for grown-ups. Here's a great site for ideas on delicious bento meals. Meals somehow look more appealing in a bento box.
4. Organic cotton t-shirts - Cotton production often includes the use of chemicals and requires an immense amount of wate. You can support a more Earth-friendly method of production by purchasing organic cotton. My favorite organic t-shirts are made by Patagonia. The company even has a clothing recycling program. Take it from me, their clothes last a long time.
5. Sustainable picnic supplies - For your favorite foodie, you can fill a basket with cloth napkins, reusable cups, and bamboo plates and utensils. Bambu products are biodegradable and compostable so you don't have to feel guilty when using disposable products makes more sense. We've bought Bambu plates and utensils for barbeques and other get togethers. Guests appreciate eating with something other than paper plates and plastic forks.
6. Wooden Musical Instruments - More cowbell! Preschoolers love to make noise. You may as well channel that enthusiasm with easy-to-play instruments. Plan Toys makes the best wooden toys. Your child and her friends can pick up the drums, tambourine and concertina for a band like no other.
Do you have any green gift picks?